If you love to cook, you've come to the right place! Every recipe you'll find here has been made by one of us in our home kitchen. Each one is good enough to share with our friends.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Easy Refrigerator Pickles


These pickles are AMAZING!  I'm usually a dill pickle person, but these are the best sweet pickles I have ever tasted.  And they are super easy.  I made mine with fresh cucumbers from our garden.

My mother-in-law gave me this recipe from an old cookbook or magazine.  It was clipped out with no additional information, other than the name "Mrs. Homer Hooks, Leesburg, Fla."

Easy Refrigerator Pickles

6 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
2 cups thinly sliced onions
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vinegar (I used white distilled)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mustard seed
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp ground turmeric

In a glass or crockery bowl alternately layer the sliced cucumbers and onions. (I made mine in a large plastic bowl with a sealed top)  In a medium saucepan combine sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard ssed, celery seed, and ground turmeric.  Bring to a boil, stirring just until sugar is dissolved.  Pour vinegar mixture over cucumber-onion mixture.  Cool slightly.  Cover tightly.  Refrigerate pickles at least 24 hours before serving.  Store up to 1 month in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment