If you love to cook, you've come to the right place! Every recipe you'll find here has been made by one of us in our home kitchen. Each one is good enough to share with our friends.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Pet Pill Pockets

For about the last 3 years I've spent at least one day a week at Homeward Bound Golden Retriever Rescue and Sanctuary. This rescue helps 200-300 golden retrievers, flat coat retrievers and their bonded friends find medical care and furever homes every year. We adopted Loki from Homeward Bound when she was just three months old. Isn't she cute?

Anyway, I'm on the evening feeding crew where we dole out food, water and medicine to 20-45 dogs every day, twice a day. We're kind of like lunch ladies for dogs. As you can imagine we go through a lot of pill pockets. Cases and cases in fact! So when I read an email newsletter article from Dr. Jon from Pet Place about homemade pill pockets, I knew I had to try them.

Homemade Liverwurst Pill Pockets
Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup plain shredded wheat cereal

  • 3 ounces Liverwurst (room temperature)

  • 2 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)

    Instructions:


  • Place shredded wheat in a bag and crush by using a rolling pin

  • Mix liverwurst and cream cheese together until smooth

  • Mix with shredded wheat

  • Roll into small balls (the size of gum drops)

  • Store in the refrigerator in a re-sealable plastic bag or container

  • Treats will last about 7 to 10 days

  • When it's time for your dog to take his medicine, simply take a "dough" ball and hide the pill in the center. Then offer it to your dog like a treat.

    I emailed the owners/operators of the rescue and got the OK to use the dogs as pill pocket guinea pigs. So the night before my scheduled volunteer shift, I made up a triple batch of homemade pill pockets. Loki was already in bed for the night but the aroma of liverwurst lured our lazy cat all the way from an upstairs bedroom. I have a feeling these puppies will work for kitties, too. They were super easy to make as I wore gloves to keep my hands clean. I rolled them out onto a parchment-paper covered cookie sheet then stored them in the fridge for the night.

    One of the sad realities of dog rescue is that more often than not, we take in dogs that have been used for breeding and not used to being around people. Golden retrievers are often called "velcro dogs" because of their close bonds with people. But dogs used by irresponsible breeders come to us shy, scared, and often hungry. They stay at the ranch long enough to get some TLC, a clean bill of health and enough social skills to find their furever home. Consider Rescue, it's the compassionate choice.

    Anyway, one of these breeder rescue dogs was one of our first customers of the night. When my volunteer partner Bev (whom we refer to as OUR Dog Whisperer) called out for a stinky, yummy treat to lure out our beautiful but scared breeder dog, I grabbed a homemade pill pocket and handed it to her. The dog instantly picked up the scent and started to peek her nose out of her kennel. Three homemade pill pockets later and Pearl, our breeder dog, was happily walking on a leash. SUCCESS!

    We used the pill pockets throughout the rest of the feeding and left the rest for the other feeding crews. When I went back the next week, there was a note waiting for me requesting more homemade pill pockets. Not only did they work great for pills, the other feeders found they worked miracles in helping teach shy and scared dogs that these people were worth trusting, if just to get another tasty liverwurst treat.

    Sounds to me like a keeper. Just like Loki...my own golden retriever who's now grown up. She's looking forward to helping me make my next batch of pill pockets. She gives them four paws up.

    3 comments:

    1. I wanted to tell you this was the most wonderful recipe I have ever came across. My dog has seizures and we have to give her three pills a day, this would be a horrble experience for all of us involved if I didn't have this recipe. When I make my balls my dogs sit around me just hoping I pass out treats (and I always give a few.) I did start adding 3 Tbsp of coconut oil to the mix, this is helping with their coat and joints. Thanks for posting this, your an angel.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I have allergy prone fosters (mine are Boston Terriers (aka Terrorists) so dairy can be a nono. I came up with this:

      Pill pocket receipe - If your babies hate taking pills, and the pill pockets are just too expensive ( I think they are), I came up with this allergy friendly receipe that even my very finicky foster gobbles down: 1 cup sweet rice flour (from Asian market) 2 cups dried split peas rehydrated and mashed up, 1 big jar chicken & rice baby food (i don't have a food processor or blender) 2 tblspn brown sugar dissolved in a little hot water. Mix throughly. Consistency should about like cookie dough Drop by spoonfuls, poke hole for pills and freeze. store in ziplock. defrost 20-40 seconds as needed. Corky "taste-tested" it and pronounced it delicious (or so I like to think). I defrosted one this am, buried his pills and he swallowed in one gulp. Cost effective too - rice 1lb box (3 cups) 1.79 dried split peas (1 bag is 3-4 cups?) .99 baby food .80. The proportions above made about 25 small "cookies". Sure beats $10 price for the real thing!
      You could sub liverwurst for the baby food (I'm lazy) and add some mashed sweet potato maybe

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Be careful, baby food that isn't meat only often has onion powder added to it and that can cause anemia in cats and dogs.

        Delete