If you love to cook, you've come to the right place! Every recipe you'll find here has been made by one of us in our home kitchen. Each one is good enough to share with our friends.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Oven Baked Fish and Chips

I am feverishly cleaning out my house and ridding it of clutter.  I'm giving away boxes and boxes of books and wanted to pare down my cookbook collection.  I was about to get rid of this one when I decided to check what I had bookmarked. 

One recipe was an old favorite I had forgotten about.  So I thought I would list it here and also give away the cookbook!

This is a tasty and healthier version of your classic fish and chips.  The secret ingredient is paprika -- who knew? 

Instead of spraying the potatoes with nonstick spray and tossing them with paprika on the baking sheet, I always put them in a plastic bag and add a little vegetable oil and the paprika and shake the bag.  WAY easier.

The recipe comes from Prevention's Low-Fat, Low-Cost Cookbook.  (Not sure where this one came from -- I typically cook with heavy cream and butter!  HA!)

Oven Baked Fish and Chips

2 large baking potatoes, cut into 1/4" lengthwise slices (basically, cut them however you like them!!)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup skim milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 catfish fillets, 4 oz each (or whatever kind of fish you prefer)

Preheat oven to 350.  Coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray.  Arrange potatoes on baking sheet.  Coat them lightly with nonstick spray.  Sprinkle them with paprika.  Toss to combine.  Bake for 30 minutes, or until tender but not browned.  Remove from the oven.  Move the potatoes so they cover one half of the baking sheet.

In a medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs, baking powder, thyme, basil, black pepper, red pepper, and salt.  Add the milk and egg, mix well.  Pat the fish dry with paper towels.  Dip the fish into the batter and place it next to the potatoes on the baking sheet.  Bake for 20 minutes or until potatoes are crisp and golden brown and the fish is opaque in the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment