If you love to cook, you've come to the right place! Every recipe you'll find here has been made by one of us in our home kitchen. Each one is good enough to share with our friends.

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Chicken a la King



This recipe is based on my mom's recipe, but I tweaked it a bit.  Hers is based on cream of celery soup.  This is real comfort food for me.  I remember asking for this dish for my birthday dinner when I was 8 or 9 years old!

I haven't made it in awhile, and last night I thought it might be better if I skipped the canned cream of chicken and made the base from the Chicken Pot Pie recipe instead.  Next time I might try that.  the canned soup seemed a bit on the salty side.

If yours is too thick, add more milk until it's the desired consistency.  I usually add milk when I'm reheating it, because it tends to thicken.

Kim's Chicken a la King

1 medium onion, sliced
2 carrots, cut in matchsticks
1 sweet pepper, sliced (yellow or red)
1-2 Tbsp butter
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 cup milk
3 cups diced cooked chicken
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 to 1/2 tsp minced garlic
fresh ground pepper (to taste)
buttermilk biscuits (homemade or otherwise)

Cook onions, carrots, and peppers in 1-2 Tbsp butter over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until just soft.  Add soup, milk and spices.  Add chicken, heat through.  Serve over biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment