If you love to cook, you've come to the right place! Every recipe you'll find here has been made by one of us in our home kitchen. Each one is good enough to share with our friends.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

"German" Apple Crisp


This recipe isn't exactly "German."  That's my friend's last name, and this is her mom's recipe!
It is just WONDERFUL.  I went to the orchard less than a week ago to buy apples and I have made this TWICE.  I will probably use up all the apples I bought making this recipe, again and again and again...
I used the full 3/4 cup of brown sugar.  And while I like nutmeg, I don't love nutmeg, so I only sprinkled it in rather than using 3/4 tsp.  My apples were huge, so the first time 4 apples was a bit too much for an 8x8 pan.  Should have known better!  The second time I made it, I only cut up 3 apples.  And I cut the slices in half the second time so I didn't have to cut them into bite-sized pieces with my spoon while eating it.
It tastes a lot like the stuffed apple recipe I used to make from Rachel Ray, except this is way easier!
 
German” Apple Crisp

Ingredients

4 cups sliced pared tart apples (about 4 medium)
2/3 to ¾ cup brown sugar (packed)
½ cup flour
½ cup oatmeal
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
¾ teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened

Directions

Heat oven to 375. Grease 8 x8 pan. Place apple slices in pan. Mix remaining ingredients thoroughly. Sprinkle over apples.

Bake 30 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden. Serve warm and if desired with light cream or ice cream.

1 comment: