If you love to cook, you've come to the right place! Every recipe you'll find here has been made by one of us in our home kitchen. Each one is good enough to share with our friends.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Rigatoni Roasted Red Pepper Bake


I cut this recipe out from a can label for something made by Contadina.  I made it once awhile back and made a few notes on it.  I tweaked it today and really liked it!

I thought it was to dry as written.  So I doubled the diced tomatoes to two cans (undrained) and skipped the water.  I also buy plain tomato paste and doctor it up myself.  In addition to the salt and pepper listed, I added basil and oregano.  Just add a little and keep tasting it until you get it how you like it.  I can't find diced peppers with roasted peppers in it, so I dice some up myself and add it separately.  I used about 1/2 cup.

This recipe is budget-friendly and is made with ingredients you're likely to have on hand.

Rigatoni Roasted Red Pepper Bake

8 oz dry rigatoni
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 gloves garlic, finely chopped
1 can (14.5 oz) Contadina Recipe Ready Diced Tomatoes, Roasted Red Pepper (I used 2 cans)
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste with Italian seasonings (I bought plain and added my own)
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain.

Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onion and garlic.  Cook 2 minutes.

Combine undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, plus 3/4 cup water (I skipped the water).  Add to skillet.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.

Stir in pasta, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.  Pour into baking dish.  Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.

Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment