If you love to cook, you've come to the right place! Every recipe you'll find here has been made by one of us in our home kitchen. Each one is good enough to share with our friends.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Wells Cesear Salad

While I've seen many versions of Ceasar salad (I have a small cookbook devoted to them!), this is the version I almost always make.... Many, many years ago at college, while I worked in Dining Hall (as nearly all first years did), I saw one of the cooks making up a batch of Cesaer salad - which I should mention was always a hit when it was put out on the regular salad bar.  I took to making single servings of it for myself when I wanted it but it wasn't out, and then sometimes some friends asked for me to make it for them.  I brought the dish home and it's become one of my family favorites, particularly during holiday dinners.  Because I only observed her making it, I can't guarantee I didn't miss an ingredient, and this is one of those that I've *always* eyeballed.  I have no idea of quantities.

A heart of romaine lettuce (or leaves off a head, but a single heart from a package of 3 hearts makes a nice amount for a dinner for 4)
Some bacon bits - about a palmful, but to taste
Some grated parmesan cheese (using Kraft or store brand is fine), a couple three shakes, again to taste
Croutons, about half a package, give or take
Ranch salad dressing, a good amount, start light and then add as needed, feel free to experiment with other versions of ranch or try a creamy Ceasar

Tear lettuce into bite sized pieces, add bacon bits, parmesan, and croutons.  Pour in some salad dressing - mix well to combine, add more if needed.  Lettuce and croutons should be lightly coated.  Serve immediately.  Can be prepped ahead of time by washing and tearing the lettuce, adding the bacon bits and parmesan and storing bowl in the fridge.  Just before serving, add the croutons and dressing as the croutons will start to get soggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment