If you love to cook, you've come to the right place! Every recipe you'll find here has been made by one of us in our home kitchen. Each one is good enough to share with our friends.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Beer Bread

A cousin shared a recipe link on fb, and since I have some beer not being consumed in the fridge (I was hoping to make more beer-can chicken), I thought it seemed like a winning idea.  The link that was shared called for self-rising flour, but it said it was adapted from another page, which only called for all-purpose flour.  But the same amounts of baking powder and salt!!  So I followed my baking instincts.  Thankfully, those instincts were right, because while it was baking I found the original fb post and the commenters agreed with me.  If you're using self-rising flour, you should be able to skip adding the baking powder and salt.  The 12 tomatoes site calls for 1/3 cup brown sugar, but I went with the recipe they adapted from since I was using Honey Brown beer.  There isn't a beer taste to the bread, it tastes like a lovely rustic loaf without the kneading and rising.  In just over an hour (mostly baking time) - you too can have a loaf of homemade bread!

Ingredients:
3 cups all purpose flour
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
12 oz beer (whatever you have or your favorite)

Preheat the oven to 375* and lightly grease a loaf pan (about 9x5)
In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and brown sugar.
Slowly pour in beer and mix with a wooden spoon.
(Optional, fold in flax or chia seeds at this point, recipe didn't specify, I didn't).
Pour batter into loaf pan and bake 45-55 minutes or until lightly browned and toothpick (or skewer) inserted in center comes out clean.
Let cool 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment