If you love to cook, you've come to the right place! Every recipe you'll find here has been made by one of us in our home kitchen. Each one is good enough to share with our friends.

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Easiest-Ever Beef and Wine Casserole


This recipe makes a delicious, tender beef that you won't even need a knife to cut!

I was flipping through The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever by Beatrice Ojakangas for new ideas for 2014.  I had a beef roast in the freezer, so I honed in on the beef chapter.

The author found this recipe in her late mother-in-law's things and didn't think it sounded very good.  But she made it anyway as an experiment and discovered it was a keeper!

This recipe is ridiculously simple.  I'm not sure I'd classify it as a "casserole," but I sure am glad Beatrice included it!

I served it with peas and my favorite scalloped potatoes recipe.

Easiest-Ever Beef and Wine Casserole

1 pound lean beef stew meat (I cut mine into large chunks, about 1 1/2" square)
1/2 cup red wine (I used a pinot noir)
1 can (14 oz) beef broth
1 tsp salt (I'd cut back on this next time -- salt isn't my "thing")
freshly ground pepper, about 7 turns of the grinder (that is her direction, not mine!)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium onion, sliced
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup fin dry breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 275 if you prefer to let the casserole bake for 6 hours, or 300 if you'd like it to be done in 3 hours.

Combine all of the ingredients in a 2-quart casserole.

Bake, covered, according to the directions above.

No comments:

Post a Comment