If you love to cook, you've come to the right place! Every recipe you'll find here has been made by one of us in our home kitchen. Each one is good enough to share with our friends.

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Egg Casserole for Kids


This year I decided to do a New Year's brunch for Chris and me.  I already knew I wanted to serve the Caramelized Ham and Cheese Buns I discovered last month in Taste of Home.  I was looking for something egg-based to go with it in The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever by Beatrice Ojakangas.  I didn't find anything I wanted to try in the "Breakfast and Brunch Casseroles" chapter, but I found a winner in the "Casseroles for Kids" chapter!

This recipe is so versatile -- you can put in whatever veggies or meat options you like and it would be just as good.  I used bacon instead of ham, and I added broccoli to mine and left out the mushrooms (Chris doesn't like them).

The secret ingredient?  CROUTONS!

Egg Casserole for Kids

2 cups seasoned croutons (I love garlic and cheese flavor)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 cup diced cooked ham
6 large eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp prepared mustard

Preheat the oven to 325.  Butter a 9x13 inch baking pan.

Spread the croutons over the bottom of the pan.  Top with the cheese, mushrooms, and ham.  (Or whatever you've chosen to use -- my broccoli was sticking up out of the egg mixture and it worked out just fine.)

In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and mustard.  Pour over the layers in the pan.  Banke for about 1 hour, until the eggs are set.

No comments:

Post a Comment