If you love to cook, you've come to the right place! Every recipe you'll find here has been made by one of us in our home kitchen. Each one is good enough to share with our friends.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

I had been thinking I should try my hand at making my own salad dressings (blame too many food and nutrition blogs and becoming aware of how much sugar goes into some dressings) so I looked on pinterest and found a few different pins for different dressings.  I thought I would start with Buttermilk ranch as that's been my favorite bottled dressing lately (I also adore Thousand Island - that's in the future).  I finally picked this recipe which calls for fresh herbs, but says you can use dried (awesome!  I don't have an herb garden).  The first time I made it, I hadn't remembered that we did not in fact have dried chives, so I tried dried minced onion - it was okay, but too onion-y.  I also take the easy way out and use jarred minced garlic.  The following is the recipe quartered, with the dried herb amounts - that way it stays nice and fresh in my fridge.

1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons sour cream
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp freeze dried chives
1/4 tsp dried dill weed
dash salt (1/16 tsp)
pinch black pepper (1/8 tsp)
1/4 tsp jarred garlic
1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup buttermilk (I use about a 1/4 cup, sometimes upwards of 3/8 cup depending on how well I measured my mayo and sour cream)  - start with the 1/8 cup and thin gradually until you get the right consistency for you and if you're using it for salad or for a dip

Whisk together until smooth.  (The original recipe says that it will last three days covered and refrigerated).

No comments:

Post a Comment