If you love to cook, you've come to the right place! Every recipe you'll find here has been made by one of us in our home kitchen. Each one is good enough to share with our friends.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Rhubarb Cake

Back in the fall a friend was telling me about a cake she'd had from a mutual friend of ours, Sue, but that she'd misplaced the recipe. So I contacted Sue and got the recipe for both of us. I've been anxiously awaiting rhubarb season so I could make it. Yesterday was the day! I mixed the flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar and then cut in the butter (I usually have butter on hand instead of shortening). I beat the egg in the measuring cup with the milk, then mixed that in, and finished by stirring in the rhubarb. Batter will be stiff - use a wooden spoon. I used two tablespoons of butter for dotting the top. I tested for doneness with a toothpick.


1 c. sugar
½ c. shortening
1 egg
½ c. milk
½ t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 ½ c. flour
2 c. rhubarb(cut into 1 inch pieces)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together. Pour into 9” x 13” pan. 
Top with:
½ c. brown sugar
Dot with butter

Bake for 30 plus minutes until top is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment