If you love to cook, you've come to the right place! Every recipe you'll find here has been made by one of us in our home kitchen. Each one is good enough to share with our friends.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Trisha Yearwood's Fancy Chili

I love chili but I can't seem to settle on a recipe that I like.  This one is a keeper!

The best part is it doesn't have to simmer for hours and hours on the stove.  You can easily make it on a weeknight.  I served it with a salad and corn bread, but the Awesome and Easy Creamy Corn Casserole would have been delicious with it too!

I also liked the crunchiness of the carrots and peppers. If you don't like that texture, you can cook them ahead of time or simmer the chili longer.

This recipe is from the September 2014 issue of Woman's Day.

Trisha Yearwood's Fancy Chili

1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 scallions, chopped (I used onion)
1/2 lb lean ground beef, at least 90% (I found 93%)
1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (I skipped this)
1 28 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (I used plain because I couldn't find these)
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed
1 15 oz can vegetarian refried beans
1 medium red pepper, finely chopped
4 medium carrots, coarsely grated
1/2 tsp brown sugar
Kosher salt

Heat the oil in a large sauce pan (I used my Dutch oven -- it makes more than you think it will!) over medium heat.  Add the garlic and scallions and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.  Add the beef and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until starting to brown, 5-6 minutes.  Stir in the chili powder and cayenne and cook for 1 minute.

Add tomatoes, beans, pepper, carrots, sugar, 1 cup water, and a pinch of salt.  Bring the mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the pepper is tender, 12-15 minutes. Serve topped with rice, sour cream and fresh cilantro, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment