If you love to cook, you've come to the right place! Every recipe you'll find here has been made by one of us in our home kitchen. Each one is good enough to share with our friends.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Beef and Barley Soup


This soup was very simple to make and made a perfect fall meal.  I made a few changes, and next time will make a few more.

First, the recipe calls for 10 cups of water.  No beef broth.  That sounded kinda bland.  So I replaced 4 cups of water with beef broth.  Next time I plan to use 8 cups of beef broth (2 Swanson boxes), 1 cup of red wine, and 1 cup of water.

Second, I have never had a rutabaga.  So I used 2 medium sized potatoes instead.  Not sure that was the right size of  "1/2 a small rutabaga," but it seemed like the right amount!

Third, I didn't have any fresh thyme sprigs, so I used dried.  I used a generous pinch.  I think I will use more next time.

Fourth, I made a mistake when I made this.  You are supposed to leave the beef in 1 1/2 inch cubes, but I didn't realize it said that until I had cut the beef into bite sized pieces.  Some of them were a bit overcooked.  Next time I'll start them out bigger and follow the directions.

This recipe comes from the October 2014 issue of Woman's Day.  I served it with a big salad and homemade rolls.

Beef and Barley Soup

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb lean beef stew meat, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbsp tomato paste
4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1/2 small rutabaga (about 12 oz), peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
6 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves (optional)
10 cups water
3/4 cup pearl barley

Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.  Season the beef with 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper.  Working in batches, brown the beef, 10 minutes total.  Transfer to a bowl.

Reduce heat to medium, add the onion and remaining Tbsp oil and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.  Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.

Return the beef and any juices to the pot along with the carrots, celery, rutabaga, thyme and bay leaves (if using).  Add the water, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until the meat and vegetables are tenders, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Meanwhile, cook the barley according to package directions (mine had to boil for 45 minutes, FYI).  Drain and set aside.

Discard the thyme and bay leaves from the soup.  Using two forks, gently break the beef into smaller pieces, then stir in the barley.

No comments:

Post a Comment