If you love to cook, you've come to the right place! Every recipe you'll find here has been made by one of us in our home kitchen. Each one is good enough to share with our friends.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Mac 'n' Cheese For One

I found this recipe years ago in the Taste of Home annual cookbook.  I think it was the first time I made macaroni and cheese that wasn't from a box.  I wasn't as sure about the mustard and these days I probably wouldn't bother chopping a whole onion for the half teaspoon needed for the recipe unless I was planning something else.  I would guess that dried minced onion would work just fine (generally about 1 teaspoon of dried herbs equals about 1 Tablespoon of fresh).  I love finding recipes that make single serving amounts and figured others might enjoy seeing them as well (no picture as I haven't made it recently).

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch pepper
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup diced cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon chopped onion
3 tablespoons elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
2 saltines, crushed

Directions
In a saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter; stir in flour, salt and
pepper. Whisk in milk until smooth. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese, mustard, Worcestershire sauce
and onion; stir until cheese is melted. Add macaroni. Transfer to a
greased 1-cup baking dish. Sprinkle with saltines; dot with
remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes or
until heated through. Yield: 1 serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment