If you love to cook, you've come to the right place! Every recipe you'll find here has been made by one of us in our home kitchen. Each one is good enough to share with our friends.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Green Bean and Potato Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette


When I made this, I thought it was good....but it was missing something.  I had skipped the tarragon because I've never used it before and I didn't have any.  The next day I thought, "What about some dill?"  I added that to the leftovers and it became delicious!

Next time, I might bake the potatoes in olive oil and rosemary, rather than boil them like a traditional potato salad.  I think it might add some carmelized taste to it, which would just increase the yumminess.

This recipe comes from the August 2011 issue of Cuisine at Home.

Green Bean and Potato Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette

Vinaigrette

1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp minced shallots (I used onion)
2 tsp minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste

Salad

3 lbs red or yellow new potatoes, cut into 1 inch wedges
1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed, halved crosswise*
6 strips of bacon, diced
1/2 cup chopped scallions
2 Tbsp minced fresh tarragon

Whisk all ingredients for vinaigrette in a small bowl and set aside.

Cover potatoes with salted water and bring to a boil.  Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.   Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Pour 3/4 cup of vinaigrette over warm potatoes.  Let cool 20-30 minutes.

Boil beans in same water until tender, 3-4 minutes.  Drain.  Transfer beans to a large bowl and toss with 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette.  Set aside to cook 20-30 minutes.

Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp.  Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.

Gently stir potatoes, scallions, tarragon and remaining 1/4 cup vinaigrette into beans.  Season salad with salt and pepper and top with bacon.

*  "Halving them crosswise" would add a ridiculous amount of time to this recipe!  I just snapped them in half when I was trimming them.

No comments:

Post a Comment