If you love to cook, you've come to the right place! Every recipe you'll find here has been made by one of us in our home kitchen. Each one is good enough to share with our friends.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Beef and Black Bean Chili

This chili recipe is VERY different!  It has cinnamon, honey, and lime juice in it, which creates a very unique taste from your traditional chili recipe.

I'm going to post the recipe exactly as written.  But I am going to tweak it next time I make it.  I would back off on the cinnamon a bit, perhaps by half.  I would also cut the beef in half, add another can of black beans and a can of diced tomatoes.  I might also increase the chili powder.  I don't like cumin, so I skipped that.

The recipe comes from the October 2011 issue of Relish.

Beef and Black Bean Chili

3 tsp olive oil, divided
1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
1 tsp coarse salt
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 cup water
1 28 ounce can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained (I used plain because I couldn't find fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, only fire-roasted diced tomatoes and I didn't want to bother with the food processor)
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 Tbsp honey
1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice

Heat 1 tsp olive oil in heavy Dutch oven over medium heat.  Add beef and brown, breaking up meat as it cooks, about 5 minutes.  Using a slotted spoon, transfer meat to a bowl.  Sprinkle with salt, set aside.

Drain liquid from pan and add the remaining oil.  Add onion and saute until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes,  Add garlic and saute 1 minute more.  Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano and cinnamon.  Cook 1 minute.

Add chicken broth, water, beef, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and honey.  Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 1 hour, stirring ocassionally.

Add beans and lime juice and cook 5 minutes.  Serve with sour cream, sliced avocado, or shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment