If you love to cook, you've come to the right place! Every recipe you'll find here has been made by one of us in our home kitchen. Each one is good enough to share with our friends.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Crab-Stuffed Mushrooms and Crab Cakes

Crab-Stuffed Mushrooms

Crab Cakes

When my sister was here in September, I knew we would LOVE to make these crab-stuffed mushrooms!  They were exactly the kind of thing we like.  And this recipe was fabulous!

Chris isn't a mushroom fan, but he loves crab cakes.  As soon as I tasted the filling, I knew it would make the perfect crab cake.  So I used the rest of the crabmeat from the mushrooms to make crab cakes.  After pressing them into cakes, I coated them in breacrumbs and brushed them with olive oil.  I baked them for about 30 minutes or so at 350, turning them half way through.  They were my first attempt at homemade crab cakes, and they were the best I've ever had!

We didn't make the horseradish sauce that goes with this.  I couldn't find plain horseradish at the grocery store, so I bought horseradish sauce from Heinz.  It was delicious.

This recipe comes from the blog Neo-Homesteading.  Check it out for some more yummy recipes.  I originally found this recipe posted on Pinterest.

Crab Stuffed Mushrooms

6 medium sized portobello mushrooms about 2" in diameter
4-6 button mushrooms (I skipped these)
extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper

8 ounces crab meat
2-3 tablespoons diced red bell pepper
2-3 tablespoons chopped chives
1 egg
1 teaspoon mustard
2 tablespoons mayo
1/2-1 teaspoon old bay seasoning
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs (I used regular bread crumbs)
(I skip the salt) 1/2 teaspoon salt
*fresh cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a bowl combine crab meat, pepper, chives, egg, mustard, mayo, old bay. Stir to mix and add panko, do not add too much you just want enough for the mixture to bind together. 

Remove stems from the mushrooms, using a spoon hollow out the centers and then toss mushrooms with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Using about 1-2 tablespoons of filling stuff crab filling into the mushrooms. Place on a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the filling is golden. You don't want to over cook the mushrooms or they will be too moist and the filling will become soggy.
Horseradish Dipping Sauce
1/2 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
2-3 tablespoons mayo
1 tablespoon horseradish (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/2-1 teaspoon hot sauce 

Stir to combine. For a fuller fat version you can use more mayo or substitute the mayo in this recipe for horseradish cream. 


No comments:

Post a Comment